Recipes for Clean Within Program
- 2 ripe avocados
- pinch sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- ½ to 1 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 to 2 red chillis, diced (optional)
- ½ cup red onion, diced (optional)
- sticks of carrot, celery, capsicum or other crudités to serve
- Halve avocados and remove seeds.
- Scoop avocado flesh from the skin, using a spoon, and place in a bowl.
- Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado flesh, leaving a few chunks for texture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and add the lemon/lime juice, which prevents the avocado from turning brown.
- Add diced tomato, coriander, garlic, chilli and onion (if using), and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate to allow flavours to blend until ready to serve.
- Serve with a selection of crudités.
- 450 grams cooked chickpeas
- 1½ tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice (or to taste)
- pinch sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- ¼ cup water (to adjust consistency if required)
- pinch ground paprika to serve
- pinch cayenne pepper or finely chopped chilli to serve (optional)
- Place cooked chickpeas and tahini in a food processor.
- Add garlic, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, sea salt and cumin (if using). Blend at a low speed until smooth, scraping down the sides if required to combine thoroughly.
- Gradually add extra water if a smoother consistency is required and more lemon juice to taste.
- Spoon into a dish and sprinkle with ground paprika. Cover and refrigerate for the flavours to combine until ready to serve.
- If a spicier hummus is desired, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or finely chopped chilli to serve.
Quinoa Salad with Shredded Vegetables
This salad may be served warm or cold.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped kale, ribs removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- a salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice to serve (optional)
- Place cauliflower and carrot in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large saucepan, add kale, onion, garlic and olive oil and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add quinoa, sunflower seeds, almonds, salt, pepper and vegetable stock. Cover and raise the temperature until gently simmering.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until all stock has been absorbed and quinoa is well cooked.
- Taste and add a pinch of sea salt if needed.
- To serve, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired.
- Substitute some of the vegetables with seasonal choices such as fennel, capsicum, radish, broccoli, zucchini or spinach.
- 1 cup salad greens (include bitter greens such as rocket or watercress)
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- slices of red onion and cucumber
- 90 grams of cooked white fish or protein alternative
- 4 black olives (optional)
- 1 dessertspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- vinegar (apple cider, red wine or balsamic) or lemon juice to taste
Toss salad with olive oil.
Sprinkle with vinegar or lemon juice.
- Substitute the white fish with chicken or tofu.
- Substitute the other ingredients with blanched green beans, asparagus, anchovies, ¼ avocado, 1 artichoke, feta, mixed fresh herbs, oven-baked capsicum or eggplant strips, marinated mushrooms
Quinoa and Beetroot Frittata
- ½ cup quinoa
- 3 large beetroots, peeled and cut into 1-cm cubes
- ½ butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2-cm cubes
- 2 handfuls spinach, chopped
- 150 grams goat’s feta
- 12 eggs, beaten
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- green salad to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cook quinoa and set aside.
- Bake the beetroot and pumpkin for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine quinoa, beetroot and pumpkin. Add spinach.
- Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle with the feta.
- Pour over the beaten eggs, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180°C or until set.
- Serve with a green salad.
Stir-fry and Vegetables
- 250 grams (approx.) of quality lean protein (fish, seafood, chicken, tofu)
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice, finely sliced
- ½ tablespoon fresh finely sliced ginger
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- fresh chilli or chilli paste (optional)
- organic tamari or soy sauce (no added sugar)
- squeeze of lime juice to serve (optional)
- few drops of sesame oil to serve (optional)
- fresh chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat oiled wok or frypan.
- Sauté protein (eg fish), ginger, garlic, chilli (if desired) and tamari until cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add to the wok firm vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower carrot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining more watery vegetables, such as spinach, capsicum, snow peas, mushrooms and Chinese greens.
- Return the protein to the stir-fry and mix thoroughly.
- Stir through a few drops of tamari and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
- Remove from heat, garnish with coriander and serve immediately.
- For an added flavour kick add a few drops of sesame oil with the lime juice.
- Garnish options are bean sprouts or chopped raw nuts.
Marsala Chicken Vegetable CurryOne for the Indian food lovers.
- 180 grams skinless chicken or turkey breasts
- 1 cup mixed chopped raw vegetables, eg cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli
- 2 tablespoons garam masala spice mix
- sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried nutmeg
- 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Coat chicken with olive oil then sprinkle with garam masala and sea salt.
- Wrap in foil and bake in hot oven. It will need up to 20 minutes, but check to see that it is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place all the vegetables in a food processor and process until fluffy. If no food processor is available, finely grate or chop vegetables instead.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl and add enough olive oil to mix into a thick paste.
- Place vegetable mixture on a piece of foil. Sprinkle with dried basil, parsley and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Carefully bring up edges of foil. Fold foil to form a well-wrapped packet but leave a little airspace inside.
- Place vegetable packet in oven next to chicken parcel and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked.
Detox Salad with Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup cooked organic chickpeas
- 1 cup organic baby spinach
- 1 cup mixed lettuce
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- ½ red capsicum, diced
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ avocado
- 1 cup unhulled tahini
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Assemble and prepare salad ingredients and combine in a mixing bowl.
- Blend the dressing ingredients, adding purified water until you get a runny consistency.
- Mix dressing through salad and serve.
- Add grated beetroot, goat’s feta, spring onions or other allowable foods to salad ingredients.
Best Ever Dahl and Fennel
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red lentils, washed
- 2 teaspoons Indian curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups liquid vegetable stock
- 1 cup sweet potato chopped
- ½ red capsicum, chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 bulb fennel, washed and cut into slivers to serve
- Fry onion, garlic, ginger and bay leaf in the olive oil until the onions are soft.
- Add lentils, curry powder and turmeric and fry for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Pour in stock, add the sweet potato and capsicum, then add coconut milk.
- Cook for about 30 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally, making sure the dahl does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add more water or stock if required.
- Add chopped spinach at the end of cooking and stir through for 2 minutes before removing from heat.
- Serve with fennel.
Rosemary's Flourless Sugarless Yet Still Yummy Chocolate Almond Cake
- 150 grams butter at room temperature
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 250 grams dark chocolate, broken into pieces and grated
- 250 grams almond meal
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Place all ingredients except chocolate and almond in a blender and mix for 1 minute or until smooth.
Add chocolate and almond and mix for 30 seconds. Pop into a lightly greased cake tin.
Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked.
Protein Power Ball
Makes 20 protein balls.
- 2 cups whole raw almonds
- 2 cups whole raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup pumpkin seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon spirulina, Good Green Stuff or Super Greens powder
- 16 whole fresh pitted dates
- squeeze of orange juice
- desiccated coconut to roll
Place all dry ingredients in a food processor. Process until you get a crumb-like consistency.
Add dates and process again. Squeeze the mixture and it should start to combine; if not, add 2 more dates and process once more.
Add a little orange juice and process for the last time. The mixture should come together when squished with the hands.
Divide mix into 20 balls. Roll in coconut and store, covered, in the fridge until needed.
Super Green SmoothieINGREDIENTS
- 1 banana
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1 scoop Lean Clean Protein
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 handful kale or spinach
- 1 heaped spoonful Good Green Stuff
- 4 ice cubes
Place all the ingredients in the blender and mix until smooth. Drink immediately.
- rolled oats
- chia seeds
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- goji berries
- LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almond meal mix)
Mix together ingredients in whatever quantities and combinations you desire.
Store in airtight container.
- 45 grams tapioca
- 100 millilitres water
- 75 millilitres coconut milk
- 45 grams nuts
- 30 grams pitted dates
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
Rinse tapioca, then soak overnight in water and coconut milk.
Chop nuts, dates and apple in a blender or use Bamix stick blender.
Add banana and blend.
Transfer all ingredients to a saucepan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring. Serve.
Quinoa with FruitINGREDIENTS
- 500 millilitres water
- 100 grams quinoa
- 80 grams fruit purée
Place water and quinoa in saucepan and cook 20 minutes. Add fruit purée. Blend and serve.
Substitute 60 grams rice for the quinoa to make a rice porridge. Cooking time will be 15 minutes.
Thermomix Gluten-Free BreadINGREDIENTS
- 110 grams basmati rice
- 110 grams long-grain brown rice
- 80 grams millet
- 40 grams dry chickpeas
- 140 grams arrowroot flour
- 40 grams mixed seeds of choice, eg pepitas, sesame, sunflower
- 2 teaspoons xanthum gum
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 400 millilitres water
- 2 teaspoons dried instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 30 millilitres macadamia oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease loaf tin.
Mill rices, millet and chickpeas into mixing bowl for 1 minute on setting 9 until mixture looks like flour
Add arrowroot, seeds, xanthum and sugar and mix for 10 seconds on setting 4. Set mixture aside.
Place water and yeast in mixing bowl and heat for 1 minute at 37°C on setting 1.
Add all remaining ingredients and flour mixture and mix for 15 seconds on setting 5.
Scrape down the sides and mix for 5 seconds on setting 5. Transfer mixture to loaf tin and allow to prove for 30 minutes in a warm place.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool then serve.
Quick Yummy Chocolate Mousse
I use a Thermomix for this recipe but a blender will work equally well.
- 150 grams cashews
- 350 grams ice
- vanilla to taste
- 30 grams cacao powder
- 100 grams fresh pitted dates
- 1 avocado
Grind cashews for 10 seconds (on setting 9 of Thermomix)
Add ice and grind for 10 seconds (on setting 9 of Thermomix)
Add vanilla, cacao, dates and avocado and blend for 20 seconds (on setting 7 of Thermomix) or until smooth consistency.
Chill for 10 minutes. Serve.
Special Strawberry Cheesecake
- 200g pecans
- 6 medjool dates pitted
- 310g raw cashew nuts
- 125ml coconut oil
- grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 50 ml coconut nector syrup
- 250g ripe strawberries, hulled
Line baking tin with baking powder.
Grind pecans, dates and one tablespoon water until mixture is a paste.
Transfer to prepared tin and press down firmly to cover base.
Mill cashews, then add oil, lemon, syrup and strawberries. Blend.
Pour over base and freeze for 3 hours or until firm.
Serve chilled with strawberries and chopped pecans.